oven roasted tomato sauce



Another recipe back from the fall! We had lots and lots of tomatoes, from our own garden and also tomatoes from my parents. I always get stressed when they are all getting too ripe and you have to use them all up before they spoil. I hate wasting food. I think it's wrong.

So, I thought I'd try my hand at tomato sauce. And any tomato sauce that has roasted vegetables and bacon in it is begging to be made! ROAST VEGETABLES! BACON! I kid you not. It was quite delicious.

But, I still think I'd buy the canned stuff. Takes less time using a can opener. But, if you got big ole bummer crop of tomatoes, it's well worth the effort :)

...

oven-roasted tomato sauce
serves 4

2 pounds tomatoes, quartered
1-1/2 cup chopped red onions
4 slices raw bacon, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
1-1/2 tsp each dried basil and oregano

2 Tbsp tomato paste
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp each black pepper & crushed red pepper flakes

12 oz uncooked penne pasta
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese

Spray a roasting pan with non-stick spray. Add tomatoes, onions, bacon and garlic. Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes at 400F. Remove from oven and add vinegar, basil and oregano. Stir well and return to ove for 15 more minutes.

Transfer roasted vegetables to a blender or food processer. Work in batches if necessary and puree until smooth. Transfer to a saucepan and add tomato paste, salt, pepper and crushed red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 5 minutes.

Spoon sauce over prepared pasta and sprinkle with parmeson cheese.

Recipe from: Lawrence of Arrabbiata, Crazy Plates Cookbook.

Share:

0 comments